Key Dates and Notes
To work as a student employee at SMC, you must have a valid Social Security Card with the correct spelling of your name. F-1 students will be given a form letter to request an SS card from the Social Security Office.
The Financial Aid Office will begin accepting employment applications every June. Authorization for employment will begin on the first day of the academic year: July 1.
Continuing student employees must complete a new Application Contract, Student Sick Leave and Mandated Reporter Status Forms and the FERPA training annually.
Student Employment at SMC
To work as a student employee at Santa Monica College, you must have a valid Social Security Card with the correct spelling of your name. F-1 students will be given a form letter to request a SS card from the Social Security Office.
There are two sources of funding: Federal Work Study (FWS) and Student Help (SH).
Federal Work Study (FWS)
FWS is employment financed with federal funds. Students must be enrolled at least half-time (6 units) to work in both fall and spring semesters. Students have to be enrolled in 3 or more units to work in the winter term. Students can also work under FWS funding in winter without being enrolled in classes, if they were enrolled half-time (6 units) in the previous fall semester and are enrolled half-time in the upcoming spring semester.
Student Help (SH)
Student Help is employment financed through the hiring department's budget. Students must be enrolled full time (12 units) to work in the fall and spring semesters. Students have to be enrolled in 3 or more units to work in the winter term. Students can also work under SH funding in winter without being enrolled in classes, if they were enrolled full-time in the previous fall semester and are enrolled full-time in the upcoming spring semester.
Find a job with your qualifications at: Student Employment Opportunities
- If you are applying for a FWS funded position you must show hiring department a copy of your FWS award letter.
- Bring FWS award letter and completed Employment Contract/Application to the hiring department for them to complete the hiring section.
- Complete the mandatory FERPA Training
- Complete the FERPA QUIZ
- Complete the rest of the Student Employment forms (documents below) along with the fingerprint procedure and bring all forms together to the Financial Aid Office.
- You can begin work as soon as you receive notification from your hiring department that you are authorized to work.
- Note: New hires must physically go to the Financial Aid office to verify forms of identification. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org about availabilities.
Individual Student Employment Documents
- Employment Application and Contract
- Federal Withholding W4 Form (2020)
- Federal Withholding W4 Form with Exemptions (2019)
- CA State Withholding DE4 Form
- Emergency Info and Warrant Recipient Designation Form
- Employment Eligibility I-9 Form
- Disclosure of Conviction Record Form
- Confidentiality Memo
- Confidentiality Agreement
- Mandated Reporter Status Form. Read the Memorandum and Reporting Information before signing this form.
- Notice of Exclusion from CalPERS Membership
- Student Sick Leave Form
- Read the Student Sick Leave Policy before signing this form.
- Fingerprint and/or TB Forms to be obtained at the Financial Aid Office
- FERPA Training Completion Email. See instructions under Hiring Process section above.
See Payroll Schedules for student payroll.
For SMC students only: If you are looking for more off-campus employment or internship opportunities, you will find jobs for SMC students at the Career Services Center.