Immigration Legal Services Project
Schedule your DACA renewal appointment with CARECEN using their online system:
- Click the "Book Now" button
- Select the Santa Monica College tab
- Select first-time appointment (for DACA renewals, etc.)
For now, they have Mondays available for SMC students through their online system. Appointments may be conducted via video chat during the current social-distancing mandate.
Legal services through this agency are FREE for SMC students, staff, and faculty and includes DACA renewals, general consultation, and more!
We know it’s been a challenging year altogether, but hopefully, the recent DACA news is a start to many more good things to come.
As you may have already heard, the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program has been fully restored to the way President Obama implemented it back in 2012.
As of today, this means:
- First-time requests for DACA are now being accepted
- Renewal DACA application requests continue to be accepted
- Applications for advanced parole for current DACA recipients are also accepted again
- Approved DACA status and work permits will be granted for two years again
- DACA status and work permits already issued for one year will be extended to two years
- DHS is complying with the order to restore DACA, though at this moment it’s unclear whether appeals may be filed under the current administration. It’s worth noting that President-elect Biden has expressed support for DACA upon the start of his administration.
As a reminder, through our DREAM Program, you have access to FREE immigration legal services where you can have a consultation about your individual situation. You can make an appointment HERE.
Although this is definitely a great win, we know that there are still many undocumented immigrants not eligible for DACA. If that is the case for you, do not get discouraged! Remember that you are not alone and that many students without DACA have graduated from college and continue to do so. You can too!
Please know that the regardless of DACA status, the DREAM Program will continue to support you. We care about you and stand beside you. Should you have any questions or wish to make a counseling appointment with the DREAM Program, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SMC Dream Program and UndocuAlly Team