Students Helping Students
The Peer Navigator program is designed to support first-year students transition to, and be successful at, Santa Monica College.
Peer Navigators are here to help you become apart of the SMC campus community in a way that makes you feel welcome and reassures you that you fit in. Through mentoring, frequent communication, workshops, and social & educational events, Peer Navigators build positive relationships and enhance your college experience beyond the classroom.
Who Are Peer Navigators?
Peer Navigators are student leaders who provide one-on-one support and direction about college life inside and outside of the classroom. Peer Navigators are connected with first-year students within the same Area of Interest, making them uniquely equipped to share their knowledge and serve as role models, allies, and advocates for first-year students.
You can count on your Peer Navigator to listen to your experiences and concerns, share their stories, provide guidance, suggest resources, and answer any questions you may have. Peer Navigators are actively invested in creating and sustaining an inclusive Santa Monica College community.
A Peer Navigator is:
- A confidant, guide, academic resource, coach, role model, and friend.
- Knowledgeable about campus resources, policies, and culture.
- Willing to share information, experiences, and accomplishments in a non-competitive way.
- Open, understanding, and approachable.
- Entrusted with facilitating the care, support, and learning of new students.
Peer Navigators Are Always Here For You