Current SMC Students
- Declare a major and have an educational goal. Click here for instructions on updating your major and goal in the Corsair Connect.
- Complete at least six (6) SMC units and have an overall 2.5 GPA by the scholarship deadline.
- Enroll in at least six (6) units for the current Fall term and at least six (6) units for the Spring term.
- Must be in good standing with the SMC Code of Conduct Administrative Regulation AR4410 and AR4411.
- Students who already have a Bachelor’s degree are not eligible.
High School Seniors (Incoming SMC Freshman)
- Minimum of 2.5 GPA
- Incoming Freshman at SMC for the upcoming 2021-2022 academic year
- Enrolling in a minimum of 6 units for Fall 2021 and Spring 2022.
- US citizens, permanent residents, or AB 540.
- If you are a high school senior, the first step is to apply to SMC. Apply to SMC today. Current SMC students who meet the minimum qualifications skip to step #3.
- Log into your SMC Corsair Connect account after you receive your ID#. The initial login password will be your date of birth (MMDDYY). You must log into the Corsair Connect to confirm your SMC account. Visit the scholarship website 24 hours after confirming your SMC account. See ScholarshipUniverse Instructions below.
- Submit financial information:
- US citizens or US permanent residents will complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
AB 540 students will complete the California DREAM Act Application
Current SMC students: submit the FAFSA or Dream Act Application for the 2020-2021 and 2021-2022 academic years.
Incoming Freshman: submit the 2021-2022 FAFSA or Dream Act Application for the upcoming 2021-2022 academic year.
ScholarshipUniverse contains both SMC scholarships (internal) and scholarships not affiliated with SMC (external). For SMC scholarships, there is a two-part application process. Part one will consist of answering the initial questions you encounter after logging into the site. Answers to the questions will determine which internal and external scholarships are matched to you. Part two involves completing additional requirements, such as a personal statement for the scholarships you are matched to.
Let’s begin the process!
- Visit the ScholarshipUniverse website by either clicking on the SMC Foundation icon in your Corsair Connect or by going directly to the ScholarshipUniverse site.
- Enter your Corsair username and password to log into the site.
- As you begin to answer questions, you will find that some questions are pre-answered. The pre-answered questions use data from your SMC Admissions application and cannot be edited unless there is a pencil icon next to the question.
- During the question process, you will see a blue “Matches #” box appear in the top
right of the screen. That box displays the number of scholarships you are currently
matched to based on the answers to the questions.
- The more questions you answer, the more scholarships you may be matched to.
- If you would like to see which scholarships you are matched to, select the “Scholarships”
link at the left side. At any time, you can return to answering more questions by
selecting the “Questions” link.
SMC scholarships are represented with a temple icon.
External scholarships (not affiliated with SMC) are represented with a globe icon
- Select the “Apply” button next to any scholarship you would like to apply to.
- Clicking “Apply” for SMC scholarships will open up the second part of the SMC scholarship application.
- Clicking “Apply” for an external scholarship will direct you to an outside website. All external scholarships have been thoroughly vetted by ScholarshipUniverse’s parent company Camus Logic. SMC has no affiliation with the external scholarships. Please contact those scholarships directly if you have any questions about any external scholarship.
- The personal statement is required for all SMC scholarships. Your application will be considered incomplete if you do not complete the personal statement. You may also be required to upload an essay or an SMC transcript depending on the scholarship you are applying to.
- The letter of recommendation is optional. If you choose to upload a letter of recommendation, that letter must be submitted no later than the scholarship deadline of February 28, 2021. We suggest you ask your recommender for a letter at least two weeks in advance of the scholarship deadline.
Scholarship review committees will review the applications during the months of March and April. Only completed applications will be reviewed. Some SMC scholarships require an additional interview. Students selected for an interview will be contacted during the review period.
Beginning in early May and continuing throughout the month, students will be notified via email of their scholarship status.
A list of scholarship winners will be sent directly to the SMC Foundation. All scholarships are granted to assist in tuition, fees, books, supplies, and any other educational expenses.
|November 1, 2020||Scholarship Application Opens|
|February 28, 2021||Last day to submit scholarship application|
|March & April, 2021||Scholarship Committees review applications|
|Early to Mid-May 2021||Scholarship winners are notified|
|June 11, 2021||Scholarship Awards Ceremony|
In order to receive an award, scholarship recipients are required to complete the verification process. The Foundation will release scholarship payments once the following steps are complete:
- All Students: Complete an updated address verification form
- All Students: Complete a thank you letter to your donor. Suggested guidelines and format.
- Continuing Students: Include a copy of fall classes to show proof of enrollment in fall classes.
- Transfer Students: Include a letter of acceptance or confirmed schedule of registered classes is required.
- All Students: Submit materials to the: SMC Financial Aid & Scholarship Office, located on the main SMC Campus, Student Services Center 1st floor or email to email@example.com. It is necessary that all documents include the student's name as it appears on file at SMC and the student's SMC identification number.
- All Students: Once the SMC Financial Aid & Scholarship Office has received a complete packet, the Foundation will issue a check directly to the student.
- Important Note to All Students: If you do not claim your award(s) within six months by December 31st, it reverts back to the Foundation.
Some awards are more than the Internal Revenue Service minimum and should be reported as income on your annual tax return. The threshold for non-wage income reporting is approximately $600 or more, however, please contact the I.R.S. for current information.