1744 Pearl Street
Santa Monica, CA 90405
The Center for Environmental and Urban Studies (CEUS) is a model of green design and an information and research center for students, faculty and the surrounding community. As the hub of campus sustainability, the CEUS houses SMC's four eco-clubs, the Environmental Affairs Committee, the Transportation Task Force, a Student Green Workshop program, and a library of eco-books and films. It also provides employment and internship opportunities as well as environmental career information.
The CEUS is a living laboratory with many green building features presented in an educational demonstration model. Some highlights include:
- Solar tubes provide 100% of the light almost all year round.
- Desks are made from sunflower seed shells. The coffee table was once a door.
- Carpet and furniture apholstery are made from recycled water bottles.
- Office computers and solar water heater are the only source for heat in the winter.
- Plants are chosen off a list from NASA to efficiently filter indoor air.
- More energy is produced than consumed.
- Extensive composting and recycling make this a zero-waste office.
- Houses a library of books, dvds, and seeds.
SMC is known for its innovative environmental programs and wide offerings of high-quality environmental classes. In fact, the institution is a leader in campus sustainability in the CA Community College system. From our commercial worm composter to our Sustainable Technology Certificate programs, SMC is proud to walk the talk of sustainability.
At SMC we recognize the urgency of the environmental problems we are facing on a global scale. Although the facts can be daunting, we strive not paint a doom and gloom picture of the future. Our success implementing environmental policies, practices, and educational programs has proven that is not finding solutions isn’t necessarily about making sacrifice, it is simply about making the right choices; for our planet, our economy, and our future.
Campus sustainability provides students who want to experience the job of solving real world challenges and apply their learning in a way that prepares them for future careers. Leaders in campus sustainability challenge our higher education institutions to “educate students for character and citizenship as much for commerce and career””.
Our mission to prepare students for global citizenship necessitates educating them in principles of sustainability and engaging them in a step-by-step process of implementing such principles on a daily basis.