The federal government has established standards for electronic and information technology to ensure accessibility for everyone including people with disabilities. Our technology purchases need to be consistent with these federal standards (Section 508).
They encompass software applications and operating systems, web-based information or applications, telecommunication products, video and multimedia media products, computers, and self-contained closed products (e.g., printers, copy machines, information kiosks, calculators, and fax machines). To ensure that we are moving towards compliance with these standards, please consult the Section 508 Buy Accessible web site to find products that meet your needs and comply with the federal standards.
Accessing the Section 508 Buy Accessible Web Site
- Open the Section 508 web site.
- Link to Buy Accessible.
- In the Search edit box, erase the text "Enter Search Words", and enter the product you are ordering (e.g., printer, copier, fax machine).
- Click the Search button or press Enter.
- Buy Accessible will display products submitted by vendors as meeting the 508 standards.
- Click the 508 template icon to link to the 508 compliance web site for the manufacturer of the product.
- You will be notified that you are leaving the Section 508 web site. Press Enter or click the OK button to approve this.
- For each manufacturer, follow the necessary links and/or make the appropriate choices until you reach the specific 508 compliance product information for which you are searching.
If you have any questions about Section 508 or the Section 508 Buy Accessible web site, please contact Ellen Cutler at x4496.