Best Routes to SMC
BIKE RESOURCES AND EVENTS
Plan your bike route to utilize low volume, low speed streets and incorporate routes with bike lanes when possible.
EAST <—> WEST NORTH <—> SOUTH
Ocean Park Blvd. 11th Street
Broadway Street 16th Street
Pearl Street 17th Street
Venice Blvd. 20th Street
Due to SMC’s high bike ridership, we are a target for bike theft. Protect against theft by properly locking your bike. SeeStop Bike Theft Info - Kryptonite.pdf for more information. Don’t forget to register your bike with the SMC police department. This will ensure your bike gets back to you if it is impounded or stolen.
Santa Monica College has an active bicycle community. Riding your bike is a great alternative to sitting in traffic and then looking for a parking space…especially with gas prices on the rise! However, biking in Los Angeles can be challenging. Be sure to plan ahead by mapping the safest route possible and following basic safety measures listed below. Thanks to Cliff Bar for their generous support of Bike SMC!
Bike Repair Resources
FREE bike repair every Tue & Thu during club hours at the Pearl Street Bike Lot courtesy of SMC's Bike Club. Get your flats, squeaks, & brakes looked at. If you are a skilled bike mechanic, we are always looking for help. Email us at email@example.com
Get FREE "stand time" and bike maintenance support at Bikerowave, a non-profit, volunteer run bike shop on Venice blvd and Centinela. Another perk for paying your AS fees. Just show them your SMC ID card and be prepared to learn to fix your own bike with their help.
DIY bike repair stands, pumps, and tools are available for use a the Pearl Street Bike Lot 24/7.
Join the SMC Bike Club
Interested in helping to build bike culture on campus? The SMC Bike Club organizes rides, provides free repairs, hosts maintenance and safety workshops, and advocates for better biking infrastructure. www.facebook.com/SMCBikeClub - firstname.lastname@example.org
Rent a Breeze Bike from any campus
- Those green bikes around Santa Monica can be rented by the hour or as an annual member.
- Special SMC student member rates of $7 per month for 90 min of ride time per day.
- Mobile app helps find the closest bike and station.
- Perfect for short trips:
- Get to campus from a bus or Expo train. Use them to finish your last mile quickly.
- Go to lunch, run some errands, or ride between campuses.
- Get excercise while enjoying the Santa Monica sunshine every day...not just weekends.
Bike Loaner Program
The Santa Monica Bike Center is helping commuters test out bike commuting by offering the necessary equipment and support to gain firsthand bike commuting experience to see if it works for them. Their free Bike Loaner Program includes:
- Commuter Bike
- Rear Rack
- Head Light & Tail Light
- Cycle computer
- Helmet (as needed)
- Route planning and guidance on the rules of the road
- Chile seat (as needed)
In addition to the equipment, each participant will be offered assistance with route planning, weather preparedness, and theft prevention.
Participants will get exclusive use of a commuter bike and accessories for a two-week trial, free of charge. A cycle computer mounted on the handlebars of the bicycle will track the number of miles ridden by each commuter. The program targets employees who primarily commute by car and are willing to give bicycle commuting a try at least three times per week. Fill out thisCommuter Bike Loaner Application.pdf to get started.
Warning: Based on results you may get hooked on bike commuting after completing the two-week trial.
We can make bicycling safer for all by observing the following safety tips:
* Always wear a helmet
* Obey all traffic controls: these go on your permanent driving record and are very expensive
* At night, make sure you are visible with a head and rear light, it's not only good sense, it's the law!
* Ride your bicycle near the right-hand edge of the road
* Never carry another person on your bicycle
* Always use hand signals when turning or stopping
* Bike defensively: look out for cars at cross street, driveways, and parking places
* Be careful when checking traffic and don’t swerve when looking over your shoulder
* Give pedestrians the right-of-way
* Keep your bicycle in good condition
* Always ride carefully
Additional safety tips:
Resources and Services
Register your bike and report collisions.
SMC Center for Environmental and Urban Studies
Stocks basic bike repair tools and repair kits. Learn how to join the movement by finding an environmentally focused club or
just come and learn how to reduce your eco footprint!
SM Bike Center
310-656-8500 • email@example.com
Full-service bike commuting facility (largest in the U.S.)
Showers, lockers, towel service, mechanic services, secure bike
parking, bike rentals, bike tours, & Segway tours.
Rack and ride with the BBB
All Big Blue Buses have racks that accommodate most bikes, including kids’ bikes (but not tandems).
Bikes are not allowed inside the bus. The
Big blue bus is FREE to SMC students with
a valid student A.S. Member ID.
634 S Spring St Los Angeles, CA 90014
213-629-2142 • la-bike.org/
Local Chapter: SM Spoke
213-626-2141 • smspoke.com
The LACBC Bicycle Resource guide is filled with helpful information about all things related to cycling.
FREE bike repair assistance with valid SMC ID including AS membership sticker.
A special THANK YOU to CLIF for their ongoing support!