The process of applying for school, obtaining benefits, determining a major, creating an education plan, and attending school can take some time. It's important that you follow these steps to prevent any unnecessary delay in receiving educational entitlement.
- Fill out the Veterans Online Application (VONAPP) and submit it to the VA electronically
· Apply for admission to Santa Monica College (www.smc.edu, tabs: new student, apply online, launch online application)
· Complete the online student orientation (www.smc.edu/orient)
· Apply for financial aid
- Register for your PIN first for the FAFSA (www.pin.ed.gov)
- After 24 hours, apply for aid (www.fafsa.ed.gov)
- Make sure to add SMC's federal ID#: 001286
- Any further questions can be handled by the financial aid office in the admissions complex at the main campus.
· Apply for Board of Governors (BOG) waiver
- Pays for tuition for California residents who qualify (must have 1 year and 1 day in CA to be considered a resident)
- Log on to Corsair Connect to complete the online application (www.smc.edu, tabs: current students, corsair connect, login, apply for BOG waiver)
· If you have taken coursework elsewhere please have an official transcript sent to the admissions office (note that you cannot hand deliver your transcript, they must be sent from the other academic institution)
- Santa Monica College Admissions Office, 1900 Pico Blvd, Santa Monica, CA 90405
· Take the Math and English placement exams (if needed) at the assessment center located in the Liberal Arts building room 109 (note: this office gets extremely busy prior to the beginning of a semester, please arrive early)
- Visit the Assessment Center for tools on preparation for the placement exams (www.smc.edu, tabs: new students, quick links, assessment).
· See a Veteran Counselor located in the liberal arts building room 135 to create an educational plan, the following items are required:
- Copy of DD214 or Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE)
- Proof of Montgomery GI Bill Kicker (if applicable)
- Certificate of Eligibility (provided by VA once you are approved for educational benefits)
- Unofficial transcripts from other institutions
- Student ID number
· Enroll in Classes (be sure that the classes you select are coming directly from your educational plan from a Veterans Resources Center Counselor – only).
- (www.smc.edu, tabs: current students, corsair connect, login, enrollment)
- Select semester for which you want to enroll
- Click add a class for left side
- Click on search icon, find your course, select it
- Visit the VRC located in the liberal arts building, room 135
· If you add or drop any classes listed on your Certification Agreement form, you will need to let the certifying official know immediately by filling out an ADD/DROP form changing your original Certification Agreement request. Failure to do so may result in garnished VA payments.
· If you do not have an educational plan on file with the VRC or you have enrolled in courses that are not listed on your educational plan
- Visit the VRC located in the liberal arts building room 135, see a Veteran Counselor to create an educational plan or update your existing educational plan.
- Fill out a Certification Agreement rev 2-13-13.pdf - in order to initiate payment of benefits from the VA.
- If you add or drop any classes listed on your Certification Agreement form, you will need to let the certifying official know immediately by filling out an ADD/DROP form changing your original Certification Agreement request. Failure to do so may result in garnished VA payments.
· Apply for you VA health card by visiting the VA Medical Center located at 11301 Wilshire Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90073
New Student Checklist