Santa Monica College students can get guaranteed admission to a variety of UC, CSU, and private colleges. But you need to fulfill certain requirements and deadlines, and in some case, fill out a contract. A complete list of transfer admission guaranteed programs is available below. (NOTE: Criteria is subject to change. Please refer to www.ucop.edu for the most current TAG information for each participating UC campus.
UC TAG POWERPOINT
UC Transfer Admission Guaranteed "TAG" Programs
Friday, February 22, 2016
2 p.m. - 6:30 p.m.
Thursday, February 25, 2016
11:15 a.m. - 12:35 p.m.
Thursday, April 21, 2016
11:15 a.m. - 12:35 p.m.
Tuesday, May 3, 2016
11:15 a.m. - 12:35 p.m.
Tuesday, May 24, 2016
11:15 a.m. - 12:35 p.m.
UC TAG Website:
Important Dates and Deadlines for Fall 2017 UC TAGs
- September 1 - 30, 2016: TAG submission period for students
- No later than November 15, 2016 UC campuses post TAG decisions
- November 1 - 30, 2016: Fall 2015 UC application filing period - ALL TAG students must file a UC Admission Application, in addition to the TAG application!
- Students can only TAG at one UC, but they can apply to any UC and attend any UC they are admitted to.
All TAG applicants must complete minimum UC admission requirements by the end of Spring 2016, unless otherwise indicated below!
International students with foreign coursework are eligible for all TAGs.
To be eligible and get the benefits of a TAG, you must meet the following criteria:
- Currently enrolled full-time at a California Community College (exceptions are possible).
- Complete UC - required transferable math course and two UC - required English Composition courses by the end of Fall 2015
- Complete at least 30 UC transferable semester units at the end of Summer 2015 (AP and IB units allowed) with a minimum UC GPA as follows:
- College of Agricultural & Environmental Sciences: 3.2 (Biotechnology and Viticulture and Enology)*
- College of Biological Sciences: 3.2*
- College of Engineering: 3.3*
- College of Letters & Science: 3.2*
*Some majors require additional coursework to be completed by Spring 2016 with specific grades. Check the link below: http://tag.ucdavis.edu/students/majors.cfm
(Landscape Architecture & Managerial Economics are not selective at the time of admission; students are encouraged to complete coursework to be ready to move from pre-status to major status once enrolled.)
- Complete at least 30 UC transferable semester units with at least a 3.4 UC GPA by the end of Summer 2015.
- Complete the last 30 UC transferable semester units in residence at a California Community College and maintain 3.4 minimum UC GPA by the end of Spring 2016.
- Complete UC required transferable math course and 1st of two transferable English courses with a C or higher by the end of Summer 2015, and English 2 or equivalent by th eend of Spring 2016
- Majors that don't offer TAGs: For the most current list, go to: http://www.admissions.uci.edu/resources/transfer_selection.html and scroll down that page.
- Specific major courses required for a TAG: http://www.admissions.uci.edu/resources/transfer_selection.html
- SMC major course equivalencies can be found at www.assist.org
UCLA Scholars Program - "TAP" (Transfer Alliance Program)
- Must be in Scholar's Program and certified by the SMC Scholar's Office.
- Complete at least 30 UC transferable semester units by the end of Summer 2015 with a minimum UC GPA as follows:
- All majors in the School of Natural Sciences: 2.9
- All majors in the School of Engineering, except Computer Science & Engineering: 3.0
- Computer Sciences & Engineering: 3.0 (GPA in math, science & computer science courses must be at least a B or better, with an overall 3.0)
- All majors in the School of Social Sciences, Humanities & Arts, except Psychology: 2.8
- Psychology: 3.0
- Complete one UC transferable English and one math course by the end of Fall 2015
- Complete secone UC transferable English by the end of Spring 2016
- No more than two withdrawals "W's" in major preparation courses
Specific majors require coursework completed with specific grades by the end of Spring 2015. Please consult the website above, in conjunction with ASSIST.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen, Permanent Resident or AB540 qualified. International students are also eligible to apply for TAG.
- Complete UC required transferable math course and 1st of two UC approved transferable English courses (English 1 equivalent) with a C or higher by the end of Fall 2015, and English 2 or equivalent by the end of Spring 2016.
- Complete minimum of 30 UC transferable semester units by the end of Summer 2015.
- College of Humanities & Social Science: 3.0 UC GPA
- Business Administration: 3.5 UC GPA (and specific major courses per ASSIST)
- Bournes College of Engineering: 3.1 UC GPA (and specific major courses per ASSIST)
- College of Natural & Agricultural Science: 3.1* UC GPA (working towards completing one year of calculus)
*3.2 UC GPA for Biology, Chemistry Inavertence, Biochemistry, Chemistry, and Neuroscience majors
UC Santa Barbara:
- Complete at least 30 UC transferable semester units by the end of Summer 2015, excluding units earned via AP, IB or A levels. Earn an overall 3.2 UC GPA by the end of Fall 2015, and maintain a 3.2 until the end of Spring 2016
- Complete the last 30 of 60 or more UC - transferable semester units in residence at a California Community College.
- Complete UC - required transferable math course and two UC - required English Composition courses by the end of Fall 2015.
- TAG does not apply to: Dance (B.A., B.F.A.), Music (B.M.), and Theater (B.F.A.) and all majors in the College of Creative Studies. And any major in the College of Engineering.
- College of Letters & Science
- Earn a 3.2 overall UC GPA by the end of Fall 2015.
- Maintain a minimum overall 3.2 UC GPA through the end of Spring 2016.
- Majors in Biological Sciences and Economics REQUIRE completion of specific major preparatory coursework by the end of Spring 2016. (ASSIST)
UC Santa Cruz:
- Complete at least 30 UC transferable semester units with at least a 3.0 UC GPA by the end of Summer 2015.
- Students who have completed 20 semester units or more of upper-division coursework at a four-year college/university, have a bachelor's degree, or are former UCSC students are NOT eligible for a Santa Cruz TAG.
- Complete one UC transferable English and math class by the end of Fall 2015 and complete the second UC transferable composition course by the end of Spring 2016.
- Students applying for Psychology, Economics, Biological Sciences or Engineering majors must have significant major coursework completed to get a guarantee. Check the above website for details.
CSU San Marcos:
California State University San Marcos guarantees admission to international transfer students provided the following requirements are completed by no later than the term preceding CSUSM entry:
- Completion of a minimum of 60 transferable semester or 90 quarter units
- Must have a minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 or better
- Be in good academic standing at Santa Monica College
- Completion of a minumum of 30 semester units of CSU general education courses, with a grade of C (2.0) or better, to include:
- Area A1 - Oral Communication: Communication Studies 11, 12, 16, 21; Speech 1, 2, 6
- Area A2 - Written Communication: English 1
- Area A3 - Critical Thinking: Business 32; Communication Studies 21; English 2, 31; History 47; Philosophy 7, 9
- Area A4 - Mathematics/Quantitative Reasoning: CS 10; Math 2, 7, 8, 10, 11, 13, 15, 21, 26, 28, 29, 54
Please note that the maximum amount of units that may be transferred from a community college is 70. Students applying for admission to an impacted major will be admitted as pre-major status.
This TAG is valid only for the term indicated. If a later term of entry is desired, a new International TAG mus be completed.
Click here to download the PDF TAG document. In addition to the TAG contract, student must also submit an admission application at www.csumentor.edu by June 1 for Fall 2014 and by November 15 for Spring 2015 admission.
American University of Paris
SMC students will be granted guaranteed transfer admission provided that the following requirements are met:
- The student has received IGETC certification by the time s/he transfers to AUP.
- The student has acquired a minimum of 45 UC/CSU transferable semester credits at SMC by the time s/he transfers to AUP.
- Her/his cumulative UC/CSU transferable Grade Point Average is equal or superior to 3.0 ("B").
- The student is in good disciplinary standing at SMC.
Arizona State University
For information go to: https://transfer.asu.edu/CAguarantee
Historically Black Colleges
California Community College Chancellor's Office has reached an agreement with 9 historically black colleges and universities to guarantee admission to transfer students who meet certain academic requirements.
HBCUs were founded to serve the higher education needs of the African-American community, though they are open to all. HBCUs are well regarded for their small class sizes and supportive collegiate environments. It has been found that retention and graduation rates of California community college students who have transfered to HBCUs are high and it is the hope that others will take advantage of this new initiative.
The nine participating institutions are:
- Bennett College, Greensboro, NC
- Dillard University, New Orleans, LA
- Fisk University, Nashville, TN
- Lincoln University of Missouri, Jefferson City, MO
- Philander Smith College, Little Rock, AK
- Stillman College, Tuscaloosa, AL
- Talladega College, Talladega, AL
- Tuskegee University, Tuskegee, AL
- Wiley College, Marshall, TX
For more information about the guaranteed program and about each participating school listed above, visit http://extranet.cccco.edu/HBCUTransfer.aspx
Notre Dame de Namur University - "TAA" (Transfer Admissions Agreement)
- Any student who successfully graduates with an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree from Santa Monica College with a minimum grade point average of 2.5 and is in good disciplinary standing is guaranteed admission to Notre Dame de Namur University.
- This agreement is applicable to any student who has completed the application process at Notre Dame de Namur for either the Fall or Spring semester within one year of completing his or her degree at Santa Monica College.
Call (310) 434-4210 to see a counselor for more details.
Western Oregon University
- Cumulative GPA of 2.25 or higher
- Completion of 24 semester credits. No more than four PE or non-academic credits will be counted toward the 24 semester credits
- Completion on of English 1 and 2 with a C or higher
- Completion on of Math 21 or 54 with a C or higher
- No ACT or SAT is required for students who meet the above requirements
For more information view Western University flyer, or call WOU Office of Admissions at (877) 877-1593.
INFORMATION IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE. PLEASE GO TO WWW.UCOP.EDU FOR THE MOST CURRENT UC TAG INFORMATION FOR THE PARTICIPATING UC CAMPUSES.