WELCOME BACK TO SCHOOL FOR THE FALL SESSION 2014!!
THE SMC STUDENT HEALTH SERVICES IS HERE TO ASSIST YOU!
AFFORDABLE CARE ACT
HEALTH INSURANCE MARKET PLACE:
- Available 24/7 by phone at 1 800 318 2596
- Live chat available on website or sign up to receive information via text messages.
- Covered California
WEST NILE VIRUS: FAQS
What is West Nile Virus (WNV)?
West Nile Virus is transmitted to humans and pets through the bite of an infected mosquito. Infected mosquitos become WNV carriers after they feed on infected birds. WNV is not spread by contact/touch or kissing and or breathing the same air as an infected person.
Symptoms can develop 3-14 days after being bitten by an infected mosquito. Symptoms may vary and include fever, body aches, rash, nausea, vomiting, headache and sometimes swollen lymph glands, a skin rash on the chest, stomach and back. Symptoms may last for few days. Some infected people may not develop any symptoms at all and can go undiagnosed. On rare occasions, severe cases may cause central nervous symptoms.
Mild symptoms do not require any treatment. More severe symptoms require medical intervention including hospitalization.
- Avoid areas that might be mosquito-prone at dawn and dusk.
- Wear long sleeved shirts and long pants when outdoors.
- Use insect repellent (should contain DEET) before going outdoors.
- Empty all outside standing water containers i.e. neglected swimming pools, ponds, pet water dishes, pots, birdbaths, etc.
- Repair and replace window and door screen to keep mosquitos out.
- Report dead birds and squirrels to the West Nile Virus and Dead Bird Hotline at 1 877 968 2473
- Get informed and get more information from Centre for disease control at www.cdc.gov/westnile and for California at www.westnile.ca.gov
HEALTH SERVICES WILL BE CLOSED ON THESE DATES:
For the year 2014
- August 25,26,27,28 &29 FLEX DAY
- September 1 LABOR DAY
- NOVEMBER 11 VETERANS DAY
- NOVEMBER 27 & 28 THANKSGIVING DAY
- DECEMBER 24 THROUGH JANUARY 4
For the year 2015
- 01-19-2015 FOR MARTIN LUTHER KING DAY
- 02-13-2015 AND 02-16-2015 PRESIDENTS DAY
- 04-13, 04-14, 04-15, 04-16, 04-17, FOR SPRING BREAK
- 05-25-2015 FOR MEMORIAL DAY
- 06-17, 6-18, 6-19 CLASSESS NOT IN SESSION
- 07-03-2015 FOR INDEPENDENCE DAY
SUMMER AND WINTER HOURS PLEASE CALL THE HEALTH OFFICE 310 434 4262
FALL SESSION HOURS TENTATIVELY WILL BE AS FOLLOWS:
- MONDAY THROUGH THURSDAY 8AM TO 7PM.
- FRIDAY 8AM TO 1PM
- STUDENT HEALTH SERVICES CLOSED ON SATURDAY AND SUNDAY.
- FOR TB (MANTOUX) TEST HOURS CALL US AT 310-434-4262 DURING BUSINESS HOURS
ANY QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS, PLEASE CALL US AT 310. 434. 4262 DURING BUSINESS HOURS
FOR ANY EMERGENCY, CALL CAMPUS POLICE AT 310. 434. 4300