​The California Dream Act of 2011 is the result of two bills, Assembly Bill 130 (AB 130) and Assembly  Bill 131 (AB 131). Together, these bills allow undocumented and documented students who meet  certain provisions of AB 540 law (see below) to apply for and receive private scholarships funneled through public universities (AB 130), state administered financial aid, university grants, and community college fee waivers (AB 131).

To receive Dream Act aid, AB 540 and AB 131 students must:

  • Have attended a California high school for a minimum of three years
  • Graduate from a California high school or pass the California High School Proficiency Exam (CHSPE) or get a General Equivalency Diploma (GED, also called General Educational Development test)
  • Enroll in an accredited California institution of higher education
  • In the case of students without legal immigration status, fill out an affidavit stating that they  have filed or will file an application to legalize their immigration status as soon as they are eligible to do so
  • To get a Cal Grant, they must also meet all other Cal Grant eligibility criteria ​ 

Link to California DREAM Act application 

Supporting undocumented students in their pursuit of college, career and citizenship.