Do you want to start a whole new career or learn new skills to get that promotion you’ve been longing for? Do your college-bound kids need to prepare for the SAT in a whole new way? Are you looking to make the upcoming fall holidays particularly special this year?
Sign up now for a wide range of classes, workshops, special tours and professional development courses offered this fall through Santa Monica College Continuing Education. Nearly 200 low-cost courses – far less expensive than UCLA Extension – are on tap this fall in a variety of categories, including the arts, home and gardening, social media, languages, real estate, computers, fitness, money management, and much more. Classes are offered on the ground at convenient locations and with free parking.
Exciting new offerings for Fall 2013 include:
- Comprehensive SAT Prep as well as College Writing Prep & Writing for the SAT – classes that are designed specifically for SMC Community Education and are different from the prep courses offered elsewhere.
- Holiday-themed classes for families and friends, which include holiday card-making workshops (Halloween and more) and are kid-friendly and great ways for parents and children to spend time together creating memories. In addition, Holiday Shopping in Historic South Pasadena is a brand new tour.
- Photographing at a Museum: Fall at the Getty Villa, which will take participants to the breathtaking Roman-style villa in Malibu. Students will spend the day meandering through this gorgeous property by the Pacific Ocean while learning how to take awesome pictures inside an art museum like a pro. A special pre-booked tour will end the day with a special look at the Roman Garden and Architecture.
- Many exciting new jewelry-making classes, which are great opportunities for handmade presents this holiday season.
"If you are looking to enhance your employable skills, try one of our many online classes offered by Market Motive that will give you online marketing certified professional certification with industrywide recognition," said Alice Meyering, SMC’s program coordinator for Community and Contract Education. "The SEO (Search Engine Optimization) and Social Media Market are particular favorites."
Other classes worth considering, Meyering said, include:
- Real Estate courses, which are offered only twice a year and provide a great opportunity to get in on the housing market in 2014.
- A new intensive one-day workshop on Basic Bookkeeping and three-week Intro to QuickBooks Pro, both of which will allow students to get a handle on the business of bookkeeping in no time.
- The Business of Bartending, a three-week course that will give students a great opportunity to pick up quick cash or develop an exciting side gig.
In addition, a wide range of Professional Development courses are designed for students to acquire marketable skills in a very short amount of time.
"We are so excited to begin Fall 2013 not just because of all the new offerings we have in store for the public, but also because of the debut of our monthly e-newsletter and Facebook page
to keep the community members connected and informed of all the learning opportunities we provide," Meyering said.
Classes begin throughout the fall; the earliest start on Aug. 26.
Students can get a 10 percent discount on all on-ground classes for the fall semester if they sign up for the e-newsletter at the website, commed.smc.edu, or like the SMC Community Education Facebook page
, and mention it when calling to register.