​​​​​Welcome to SMC Success and Engagement Center!

Formally the Assessment Center.

Walk-In Hours

Tuesday: 9 a.m. - 12 p.m.
Wednesday: 9 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

Office Hours

Monday: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Tuesday: 8:30 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Wednesday: 8:30 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Thursday: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Friday: 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.

*Hours are subject to change without prior notice.


January 20
Febuary 14
Febuary 17


​Student Services Center (SSC)  1st Floor : PDF FileMap
1900 Pico Blvd., Santa Monica, CA 90405


Phone: (310) 434-8040
Fax: (310) 434-8019​


​​​English and Math Placement is Changing Summer/Fall 2019

English and Math Placement

Due to the passage of Assembly Bill 705 (AB 705), new students will be placed into math and English classes one of two ways: using high school GPA/coursework information, or Guided Self-Placement. Read more about the placement process.

English as a Second Language (ESL) Placement

ESL placement tests are still required for any student wanting to take credit ESL classes. Appointments are not needed. Visit the Success and Engagement Center, formally the Assessment Center during walk-in hours.

Government-Issued Photo ID Required for Testing

  • Valid government-issued photo identification such as passport, driver's license, state ID, or high school picture ID card, is required for testing.

  • Undocumented students may present their high school ID, yearbook, matricular/consular ID card, or a financial institution's card having a picture on it.

  • The Success and Engagement Center reserves the right to ask for a secondary form of ID. A student ID card may be used only as a secondary form of identification.

  • You cannot assess for a course you are currently enrolled or been enrolled in within the last 2 years. For example: if you are enrolled in an ESL class, you will not be eligible to retake the ESL placement test again. Same applies for Chemistry.

  • All acts of impersonation attempted an impersonation, use of fraudulent ID cards/passports will be reported to the College Police and Student Judicial Affairs for adjudication. College Police will refer all such cases to the City Attorney ’s Office for criminal prosecution.

Ask SMC!

Have a Question? Ask Us!

<a href="http://smc.intelliresponse.com/index.jsp" target="_blank">Ask SMC</a>