The new E-Scholarship application system has many features, including the following:
- Students will complete the SMC Scholarship Application on-line through the SMC E-Scholarship system. No paper application will be required.
- Students will be able to submit their personal statement on-line through E-Scholarship.
- Letters of recommendation are optional. If included, list the names and emails of individuals who will be writing the letters of recommendation.
- Those writing optional recommendation letters will submit letters electronically through the SMC E-Scholarship system.
- Students will be able to see if their recommendation letters have been submitted and if their application is complete through E-Scholarship.
- Students can check for additional Foundation scholarships through the SMC system that they are potentially eligible to apply for by submitting additional essays or materials if requested.
What Can You Do Now?
- Start writing your personal scholarship statement.
- If you have a resume, submit that to your recommendator as a reference point.
- If you want to use optional letters of recommendation , start contacting teachers, counselors, and others about writing a letter of recommendation; all submissions of required materials is the students responsibility.
- Attend a Scholarship Workshop, dates and times are listed in the Scholarship Book, 2016-17
Submit applications early, since applications and documents must be in Scholarship Office before the deadline.
February 23, 2018
For further information, you may contact the office at (310) 434-4290.
Location: Drescher Hall D-150/Financial Aid Bldg.
Monday - Wednesday: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Tuesday - Thursday: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Friday: 8 a.m. - 12 p.m.
During peak times, office hours may vary.
What Happens After You Apply
Applications are reviewed for completeness, sorted by scholarship criteria, and forwarded to review committees and donors for consideration. Students are then matched up to a scholarship. Donors and Committees may or may not choose to interview candidates. If you are selected for an award requiring an interview, you will be contacted by postcard at the address listed on your application. Contact the scholarship office immediately with changes of address or telephone number.
The interview committee will ask questions with regards to your educational goals and career plans. Donors may participate on selection committees so you want to make a good impression. Try to relax. The committee members just want meet you personally, to find out a little bit more about you. If you can't make an interview, call the Scholarship Office as soon as possible. Usually there is only one opportunity to interview. If you are unavailable for an interview, your application will be paper-screened.
All winners and non-winners will be notified by mail in May. All checks for students will be mailed; so please make sure address form is filled out with most recent information; continuing students will receive their award prior to the next enrollment period at Santa Monica College; proof of enrollment is required for all continuing students for summer (if attending) and fall. Incoming high school students will receive award check/s after proof of fall & spring enrollment.
A list of scholarship winners will be sent directly to the SMC Foundation and Financial Aid Office. If these awards affect your financial aid award package, you will receive a revised award letter. All scholarships are granted to fund tuition, fees, books and supplies, and any other educational expenses.
Required Documents and Instructions:
All scholarship winners are required to write typed thank you letter/s and fill out an address form to receive the award along with any other required documents listed below. The materials should be brought into or mailed to the Scholarship Office, and will be forwarded to the donor.
- Continuing students must submit a copy of their bursars receipt for enrollment verification. It should show 6 units unless the award states more; part-time students are acceptable.
- Transferring students must submit, in some cases, proof of university acceptance letter/s.
- Some organizations may require your attendance at a luncheon, at which time you will receive an award check.
- All verification materials must be submitted before the fall semester ends at SMC;award/s will be forfeited.
Some awards are more than the I.R.S. minimum, and should be reported as income on your annual tax return. The threshold for non-wage income reporting is approximately $600 or more, however, please call the I.R.S. for current information.
Majors at Santa Monica College
- Academy of Entertainment Technology
- Administration of Justice
- Automotive Technology
- Biological Science
- Computer Science
- Earth Science
- Fashion Design
- General Science
- Graphic Design
- Interior Design
- Leisure Studies
- Liberal Arts
- Physical Education
- Physical Science
- Political Science
- Recreation & Leisure Studies
- Respiratory Therapy
- Theater Arts
Scholarships And Financial Aid Library References
|College Blue Book: Scholarships, Fellowships, Grants and Loans v.5||Reference||LA226 .C685 2015|
|College Board Getting Financial Aid||Reference||LB2342 .C622 2017|
|College Board Scholarship Handbook||Reference||LB2338 .C597 2017|
|Directory of Financial Aid for Women||Reference||LB2338 .D564 2014-2016|
|Financial Aid for African Americans||Reference||LB2338 .F5643 2014-2016|
|Financial Aid for Asian Americans||Reference||LB2338.F5644 2009-2011|
|Financial Aid for the Disabled and||Reference||LB2337.2 .F58 2012-2014|
|Financial Aid for Hispanic Americans||Reference||LB2338.F5645 2009-2011|
|Financial Aid for Native Americans||Reference||LB2338.F5646 2009-2011|
|Financial Aid for Veterans, Military Personnel and Their Dependents||Reference||UB403.F47 2008-2010|
|Foundation Directory||Reference||AS911.A2 F65 2016|
|Peterson's Scholarships, Grants & Prizes||Reference||LB2337.4 .P475 2017|
|Peterson’s How to Get Money for College||Reference||LB2337.2 .H8471 P4851 2017|
|Getting Financial Aid||Reference||LB2342.C622 2017|
For more titles look in LIBRARY CATALOG under the following headings: Scholarships or Student Aid.
The Santa Monica College Foundation advances the mission and goals of Santa Monica College by attracting contributions from individuals, businesses and foundations in support of the excellent education the College provides. We appreciate your participation in the Scholarship Program and welcome your involvement in other campus programs as well. For further information about making a contribution, please contact the Santa Monica College Foundation at (310) 434-4215 or santamonicacollegefoundation.org
Santa Monica College Foundation Board
Deanna M. Hansen, Vice President, ESA, Chair
Mark Ivener, Esq. Managing Partner, Mark A. Ivener, A Law Corporation, Vice Chair
Samuel R. Biggs, President, SL Biggs, Secretary/Treasurer
Board of Directors
Spring Aspers, Sony Pictures Entertainment Mark Ivener, Esq.
Samuel R. Biggs, President, SLBiggs
Dr. Tiffany Grunwald, MD
Deanna M. Hansen, Vice President, ESA
Mark Ivener, Esq. Managing Partner, Mark A. Ivener, A Law Corporation
Tami Halton Pardee
Dr. Ava T. Shamban
Dr. Kathryn E. Jeffery, Superintendent/President
Don Girard, SMC Senior Director Government Relations & Institutinoal Communications
Max Brossy, Administrative Assistant
Taziwa Chanaiwa, Consultant
Nicole Fukumoto, Consultant
Mayra Islas, Office Assistant
Laurie McQuay Peninger, Associate Dean, Grants
Socrates Manuel, Projects & Events Coordinator
Lizzy Moore, Dean, Institutional Advancement
Dan Sy, Associate Director/CFO
Cheryl Ward, Development Director
Santa Monica College Board of Trustees
Barry Snell, Chair
Dr. Margaret Quinones-Perez, Vice Chair
Dr. Susan Aminoff
Dr. Nancy Greenstein
Dr. Louise Jaffe
Dr. Andrew Walzer
Chase Matthews, Student Trustee