If you prefer to live with a host American family, you may wish to look into a Homestay Program. These programs are arranged through private companies that charge a fee to match you with a compatible, pre-screened family. Your living arrangements would depend on your personal preferences as well as those of the host family. The host family often provides meals; typically the student would have a private bedroom and share a bathroom with members of the family. In most cases, a refundable damage deposit will be charged in addition to the processing fee and the monthly rent. Prices vary greatly by company and facilities provided. Each of these private companies has its own rules and regulations; SMC does not monitor or administer these programs. Applications must be submitted directly to the organization and processed prior to your arrival. Keep in mind that some of these companies require full payment in advance.
|Universal Student Housing
424 Kelton Ave., Suite 514
Los Angeles, CA 90024
Tel: (310) 824-4908
Fax: (310) 824-2412
|Global Student Services, USA Inc.
||1436 Brett Place, #18
San Pedro, CA 90732
Tel: (310) 438-7485
Fax: (424) 254-2304
|International Student Placements
||199 First Street, Suite 305
Los Altos, CA 94022
Tel: (650) 947-8879
Fax: (650) 948-1105
|International Housing Placement Service
||600 N Rosemead Blvd., Suite 211
Pasadena, CA 91107
Tel: (626) 798-0209
Fax: (626) 795-5198
|Regency Homestay Services
||360 N. Sepulveda Blvd., Suite 3008
El Segundo, CA 90245
Tel: (310) 452-1676
Fax: (310) 452-1865
|Student International Housing Inc. (S.I.H.)
||5757 West Century Blvd., Suite 700
Los Angeles, CA 90045
Tel: (310) 320-4700; (310) 348-2925
Fax: (310) 348-2926
Questions for Homestay Companies
- How close to SMC does the host family live?
- Is there public transportation nearby?
- How long will it take to commute to SMC?
- What are the household rules?
- May I have overnight guests?
- Am I expected to do any chores?
- Will I have a private phone line?
- Private T.V.?
- What is the latest that I may receive phone calls?
- Will I have a private bathroom?
- Are there other students in the household?
- Is there a curfew?
- Are there any pets in the house?
- Why does the host wish to house a student?
- What is the primary language spoken in the house?
- What is the religious orientation of the household, and will the hosts have any expectations of my own religious activities?
- Does the household observe any dietary practices or restrictions?
- If meals are included in the monthly fee, and I do not like the food, may I get a rate adjustment and cook my own meals?
- What will the homestay company do if I am not happy with the family with whom I have been placed?
- Is smoking allowed in the house?
- Will someone meet me at the airport?