Skip to main content
Navigate Up
Sign In
Santa Monica College|Enrollment Development|Financial Aid and Scholarships|What if I drop any or all of my classes?

What if I drop any or all of my classes?

If you withdraw from all classes before the 60% point, you may owe part of the federal aid you received (also known as Title IV funds) — back to the Federal Government.Three students sitting outside on grass having a meeting and studying.

Note: Students that fail to return all “unearned” Federal Aid will be reported to the Department of Education—as an overpayment.  Students reported as owing an “overpayment” are no longer eligible to receive Federal Aid—at any school.

What happens if I drop classes after I receive my financial aid check(s) — but do not drop all classes?

Your Pell, Cal Grant, and SEOG eligibility for a term is based on your enrollment level on the Financial Aid Census Day SMC student using drafting board in art class— which will be in the 10th week of the Fall term and the 11th week of the Spring term. 

If you receive your first payment based on an enrollment level of full time, 3/4 time, or 1/2 time — and then drop to “less than 1/2 time” before the Financial Aid Census Day . . . you will be considered to have been overpaid. The difference between your “less than 1/2 time” eligibility and what you were already paid—must be repaid!  

Note: Students that do not repay their overpayment will have a hold placed on their records!

Note #2: Students with EFCs in the 4996 to 4401 range--who go from full time to 3/4 time or from 3/4 time to 1/2 time before the Financial Aid Census Day may also be in an overpayment status!

Continue on to Section 9 ...