Thanks to the California Dream Act, AB 540 students at community colleges are now eligible to apply for privately funded scholarships, the Board of Governors Fee Waivers, assistance from EOPS, CARE or CalWorks and other state aid such as Cal Grant and Chafee grants.
You are an AB 540 eligible student if you meet all of the following criteria:
- Attended a California high school for at least three years;
- Graduated from a California high school, acquired a GED, or passed the California High School Proficiency exam;
- Are enrolled at a California Community College;
- If required, complete an affidavit saying you have filed (or will file when you are eligible to do so) for legal immigration status.
How to apply for Cal Grants, Chafee Grants, and Board of Governors Fee Waiver:
- Enroll in classes;
- Request and submit the California Nonresident Tuition Exemption form to SMC Admissions & Records to determine if you are an AB 540 student;
- Once your AB 540 status is determined by Admissions, complete the online California Dream Application at https://dream.csac.ca.gov;
- Once you have completed and submitted your CA Dream Act application - please visit the Financial Aid Office for more information.
Please note: If you are a male between the ages of 18 to 26 years old, you must register with selective service to meet eligibility requirements. Students who do not have a Social Security Number should register via mailing in a selective service registration postcard. These postcards can be obtained at your local post office.