Board of Governors (BOG) Enrollment Fee Waiver
California residents and student with AB 540 status may apply for a BOG Fee Waiver by submitting a manual BOG application, an E-BOG Application or by completing a FAFSA application. BOG waivers begin in the summer semester of each academic year and must be renewed every year. BOG waivers are awarded for the current term in which the application is submitted and for following terms in the Financial Aid Year. However, BOG Fee Waivers are not awarded “retroactively” to prior terms in the Financial Aid Year. Other fees, for example: parking, student activities, health fee and ID card fees, must be paid by the student.
||Class Fee Semester Waived|
||Summer, Fall, Winter and Spring|
||Fall, Winter and Spring|
||Winter and Spring|
If you were awarded a BOG fee waiver after you paid for classes, you will receive a refund. Please contact the Bursars Office for all questions regarding refunds at 310-434-4664.
How to Apply for the BOG Manually
Fill out the form below and submit it to the financial aid office:
How to Apply for the BOG Electronically via E-BOG
- Sign into Corsair Connect and select the "ENROLLMENT" tab on the upper right section
- Choose semester
- On the menu to the left, click on "Apply for Board of Governors Fee Waiver"
- If eligible, print BOG Signature Page and submit with any requested documentation
Loss of BOG Fee Waiver Appeal Process
If you have been disqualified from receiving the BOG Fee waiver for failing to meet the new GPA or Completion Rate standards for two consecutive major (Fall or Spring) terms, you are entitled to go through the appeal process for reinstatement of the Board of Governors (BOG) Fee Waiver. Students will be able to appeal the loss of the Board of Governors Fee Waiver based upon the following verifiable circumstances:
Note: Successful appeal for “enrollment priority” extends to the fee waiver. How to Appeal:
- Extenuating circumstances: cases of accidents, illness or other circumstances beyond a student’s control.
- A change in a student’s economic situation.
- Evidence that a student was unable to obtain essential support services.
- Special consideration of factors for veterans and students in the following special programs: CALWORKS, EOPS, and DSPS
- Students with disabilities who applied for, but did not receive accommodation, in a timely manner.
- Significant academic improvement.
- Complete the BOG Fee Waiver Appeal Form
- Print out completed form
- Submit supporting documents to the Financial Aid or Admissions office by the following deadlines:
- Fall 2016: December 5, 2016
- Spring 2017: May 30, 2017
Board of Governors (BOG) Enrollment Fee Waiver Satisfactory Academic Progress Information
Board of Governors (BOG) Enrollment Fee Waiver academic progress requirements:
- 2.0 GPA
- 50% Completion Rate (CR)
BOG Enrollment Fee Probation BOG Waiver recipient’s academic progress will be assessed after the conclusion of Fall and Spring semesters. It either the GPA or completion rate is lower than the requirement, the student will be placed on BOG Enrollment Fee Waiver Probation. Students will be expected to improve their GPA and/or their completion rate by next academic progress assessment.
- Lack of Progress: If a student has two consecutive semesters (Fall or Spring) failing to meet the GPA and/or completion rate requirements, they will be placed on BOG Fee Waiver Disqualification.
BOG Fee Waiver Reinstatement:
- Next Fall or Spring term
- Exception 1: If student has added a class in next fall or spring term, before being notified of second consecutive lack of progress semester, disqualification is pushed forward to next major (fall or spring term)
- Exception 2: If student has not yet completed 12 units, disqualification is pushed forward to next major (fall or spring term)
- Exception 3: Foster youth and previous foster youth (under age 25) are exempt from disqualification.
- Raise GPA and/or Completion rate
- Student “sits out” two major terms
- Appeal (ED Plan not required at SMC / Electronic Appeal)