Are you ready to graduate? Did you complete all requirements for your Bachelor of Science in Interaction Design, your Associate degree or Certificate of Achievement? Great! Your next step is to complete our Graduation Petition. Details are provided below.
Graduation Requirements at SMC
- Unit Requirements: The B.S. in Interaction Design requires a minimum on 120 CSU applicable units, including lower and upper division general education. All Associate degrees require a minimum of 60 degree-applicable units, including General Education, major requirements, and electives. Certificates of Achievement require a minimum of 12 major-applicable units.
- Units in Residence at SMC: At least 12 units of coursework must be taken at Santa Monica College.
- GPA Requirements: A minimum GPA of 2.0 is required in degree-applicable coursework. All courses in the major must be completed with a "C" or better.
Use of Transfer Credits & Select Test Scores
Coursework from regionally accredited colleges and universities is accepted by SMC to fulfill degree and certificate requirements.
Advanced Placement and CLEP scores can be accepted for credit, with some limitations. Test scores must be submitted directly from the testing center to SMC.
Official college transcripts and test scores sent directly by the institution are required. SMC does not accept student-provided do cuments--even if in a sealed envelope.
Steps to Graduation at SMC
Ensure you have submitted official transcripts and relevant test scores from all institutions attended to the Admissions and Records Office. Note that all transcripts from other schools must be mailed directly to SMC Admissions. Hand carried transcripts will not be accepted.
Make an appointment with a counselor to see if you are eligible to graduate. You can also run a Degree Audit check using the SMC educational planning tool called MyEdPlan.
Once you determine you are eligible, complete and submit your graduation petition as noted below.
You may petition for any degree or certificate for which you qualify (no limit).
Complete and submit the graduation petition for your degree or major. All petitions must be downloaded, completed and submitted to the admissions and records office.
The filing periods for graduation are as follows:
Spring: Start of Spring Semester thru April 30
Summer: Start of Summer session thru July 31
Fall: Start of Fall semester thru December 1
Once You Submit a Graduation Petition
You will receive an email on the status of your petition within 6 weeks after submitting it to the Admissions Office.
You will be provided with instructions on how to participate in our annual Commencement Ceremony a few months ahead of the event. In order to participate in the ceremony, you must submit the graduation petition by April 30.
Graduating with Honors
Graduation honors are awarded to students who have met all the graduation requirements, who have never been suspended from Santa Monica College, who are not currently on academic or progress probation, and who meet the following GPA qualifications for all degree applicable coursework.
Graduation honors will be annotated on your SMC transcript and your diploma.
Congratulations! You Are a College Graduate
Transcripts: Once the Admissions & Records Office has verified you completed all degree/certificate requirements, your official Santa Monica College transcripts will be annotated with the degree/certificate and major you completed. This annotation will appear on all transcripts we generate.
Diplomas: Will be mailed to you within 12-16 weeks after the appropriate filing period. Only one diploma (per major) will be provided to you at no cost. If you graduated with more than one major, you will receive a separate diploma for each major. It will also state if you graduated with honors.
Duplicate Diplomas: Duplicate diplomas may be ordered directly from the Admissions & Records Office by completing the appropriate form at a cost of $20 each.
Commencement Ceremony Participation
Who May Participate
Students who were granted a degree from Summer and/or Fall preceding the graduation ceremony.
- Students who have petitioned for the Spring semester who are designated as eligibile or eligible pending.
- Students who have petitioned for the Spring but are missing 2 courses (up to 8 units) and are enrolled in them during the Summer session following the graduation ceremony, may participate provided they petition to graduated by April 30th. These students will be designated as ineligible to but may participate.
- Ineligible but may participate students will need to resubmit a new graduation petition during the Summer term in order to be granted the degree and/or certificate.
The Admissions & Records Office will confirm their eligibility to participate in the commencement ceremony during the month of May. A single ceremony is held in June.
Please refer to our Graduation and Commencement Guide for details on the commencement ceremony.