SI Leader Responsibilities
- Attend all class sessions.
- Take lecture notes at every class session. Make note of professor’s expectations and methods.
- Take at least the first class exam to learn the professor’s exam style.
- Assist students during class learning activities.
- Serve as a “model student” by being punctual, attending every class session, sitting in the front of the classroom, paying attention to class lectures, not leaving class early, and having a positive attitude toward subject matter and academic excellence.
- Build rapport with all students in class to encourage them to participate in the SI sessions.
- Promote SI in the classroom at least once a week (e.g., class announcements, handouts, posters, flyers, etc.).
Outside of Class Sessions: Read and review all assigned course material.
- Conduct two to three SI sessions a week. Hold marathon SI sessions or extra sessions when needed.
- Create and administer mock or practice exams/essays.
- Integrate the review of lecture notes, textbook readings, and supplemental materials in SI sessions.
- Embed learning strategies to help students learn “how to learn” along with “what to learn.”
- Present collaborative learning strategies to create an active learning environment for student participants.
- Engage students in collaborative activities that reinforce course content and teach effective academic study skills.
- Help students refine study/learning skills such as note taking, test preparation, problem solving, test taking strategies, etc.
- Take attendance at every SI session.
Professor Weekly Meetings
- Meet with professor at least once every two weeks to discuss the lecture content, textbook readings, homework assignments, upcoming exams/quizzes, and proposed SI session activities/worksheets.
- Give professor feedback on concepts that students who participate in SI sessions are having a difficult time understanding.
- Submit weekly required paperwork (e.g., timesheets, attendance sheets, session plans, etc.) to the SI Project Manager.
- Attend all required SI training sessions and staff meetings.