Theatre Arts Master Classes
SMC's Theatre Arts Department invites you to attend this free series of in-depth presentations by experts from the world of stage. Classes are held on the main campus in either the Studio Stage or Main Stage as indicated, 1900 Pico Bl., Santa Monica. Seating is strictly on a first-arrival basis. For more information, call (310) 434 4319.
An Exploration of Michael Chekhov Acting Technique
The workshop will give students an overview of the whole Technique; and explore some of its psycho-physical aspects through exercises. Students should come prepared to move.
The workshop will cover (time permitting):
- Archetypal Gesture
- Psychological Gesture
- Working with images
- The Actors System
- Creating Character
May 29, 10 am - 12:30 pm
The Business of "The Business" for Performers
Roxanne Messina Captor, Lecturer and Moderator
Artistic Director for Geffen Playhouse
Casting Director & Asst to the Artistic Director for Geffen Playhouse
Casting Director & Artistic Assoc. for South Coast Repertory
The discussion may cover topics such as:
- How to get a job in professional theatre
- Benefits of working in regional theatre
- Is NYC a "must" to have a professional theatre career?
- What do theatre casting directors look for in actors?
- What is a theatre casting call like?
- Does one need an agent to get into regional theatre?
- How does one get in the unions?
- ....and more!
Panelists will provide additional insight and be available to answer questions.
May 31, 11 am - 12:30 pm