1. How do I get a syllabus for a class? 
    • There are two documents related to each section of a course, a Course Outline of Record (COR) and an instructor syllabus.  They are very different.  A COR contains the uniform standards applied to all sections upon which each student will be evaluated in the process of receiving a formal grade.  A syllabus, on the other hand, is the tool an instructor uses to foster a clear instructor-student course communication pertaining to learning objectives, student outcomes, and instructor expectations.  It usually includes an individual instructors grading policy, exam policy, homework policy, absence policy, make-up policy, and a tentative schedule that gives a framework for completion of the material to satisfy the COR requirements.  These are not usually available until the first day of class.
    • To obtain a copy of a syllabus for a course you were previously enrolled in, please contact that instructor using the campus directory available on www.smc.edu  (If the instructor no longer works here, contact the assistant department chair)
    • To obtain a copy of a syllabus for a future class, you can try contacting the instructor but it is highly probable it will not be available.
  2. My transfer school wants a copy of what was covered in a course. How do I find this?
  3. What textbook is required by my teacher?
    • For courses in the math department teachers must all use the same book or they may have a choice between two texts. They also may require additional material such as an online homework access code.  The  Bookstore  contains a list of all required text and supplements for each instructor.
  4. What sections/chapters must be covered by my teacher?
    • Each teacher is required to cover the topics contained in the Course Outline of Record (see 2.) 
  5. Where can I get sample exams?
    • Some instructors provide them, some instructors post samples on their homepage, or check out on-line resources for math.