Respiratory Therapy Application and Acceptance
APPLICATION & ADMISSIONS PROCESS
Prospective students can apply to the SMC RT program during the open application period, from February 1st to August 12th. The student must submit documentation that all program pre-requisites courses have been completed.
Contact the Respiratory Therapy program at 310 434-3446 for an application or for a counseling appointment. You may also download an application from the link below.
ELAC/SMC RT Program Application
For purposes of application to the RT Program, college transcripts covering all program pre-requisite coursework must be submitted with the application. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable.
*Requirements for Admission are subject to change
For purposes of evaluating general education requirements for the Associate in Arts degree, official transcripts must be mailed directly from all colleges to:
Santa Monica College
Admissions & Records Office
1900 Pico Blvd.
Santa Monica, CA 90405
****This must be done prior to your final semester in the RT program.*****
PREPARATION FOR THE RT MAJOR
Students seeking admission to the Respiratory Therapy major should consider the following information:
- Prospective applicants should consider taking the introductory RT course (RT 1) to find out more about the program and the profession.
- Applicants for program must have a negative criminal background check and pass a drug screening procedure to participate in any clinical classes.
- SMC’s RT Program is an “Advanced Practice” level Program, thus graduates are eligible for the “Registered Respiratory Therapist” exams.
- Appointments with the RT Faculty advisor are available by calling for an appointment, Call 310.434.3463.
- Clinical experience will be arranged in a variety of excellent medical facilities throughout the greater LA area.
- Prior to entry into clinical training students are required to take a state approved “Legal Obligations and Ethical Responsibilities of Respiratory Care Practitioners in CA” course.
- The costs associated with the program over the two years are approximately $3,000 - $4,000.
ENROLLMENT IN THE RESPIRATORY THERAPY PROGRAM IS OPEN TO PERSONS REGARDLESS OF SEX, AGE, MARITAL STATUS, DISABILITY, ETHNIC GROUP, RELIGION OR NATIONAL ORIGIN.