The Nursing Student Emergency Relief Fund was created by the Santa Monica College Fostering Student Success Project to assist students in
meeting short-term, temporary financial obligations, which, if not ameliorated, would interfere with the student’s ability to continue their education in Santa Monica College' Nursing Program.
Santa Monica College’s nursing students frequently experience financial barriers to completing their education, and they have few places to turn for assistance. The sums are not huge, but they seem so to those who need them. Perhaps it’s a utility bill that they cannot pay or an emergency trip to the doctor. Maybe they can’t afford this semester’s books or the gas it takes to come to campus. Whatever it is, financial hardship is one of the reasons nursing students dropout, and the regional healthcare workforce cannot afford to lose future nurses.
For this reason, the college’s Fostering Student Success Nursing Initiative will establish relief fund, which will enable the program to provide a maximum of $250 per year to each one of SMC’s enrolled nursing students. Help SMC Nursing Students succeed by contributing today.
Total Raised To-Date: $15,742.00
Total Relief Given: $1,115.00
To Request Funds:
Read the Guidelines for Requests (below)
Complete a Request Form (A staff or faculty member must complete the Request Form)
Guidelines for Requesting Funds
As the available funds are quite limited, the Fostering Student Success Project Team will utilize the following guidelines:
- Student must be currently enrolled in the SMC Nursing Program.
- The student’s academic record will be reviewed for commitment and progress.
- Need should be verified by a faculty or staff member.
- Need should be unexpected and short-term or temporary.
- Award should enable student to continue with immediate studies.
- Maximum award is $250 per year. If need is greater than $250 the request will not be considered unless there is an explanation as to how the student will attempt to raise the additional funds.
- Students awaiting financial aid are not usually funded; nor are loans available.
- Award should not be used for fees.
- Funding requires approval by a simple majority.
Please complete the donation form
and include it with your check,
payable to the SMC Foundation
and mail to...
Santa Monica College Foundation
1900 Pico Boulevard
Santa Monica, California 90405