The SRI Application is now CLOSED.
We are no longer accepting applications for our 2014-2015 Cohort.
However, if you'd like to apply for the program next year (2015-2016) or would like to receive information about STEM related events and workshops on campus, please fill out the
"Interest Card" on the home page.SRI Application Criteria,
FAQs, and Links
In order to meet the SRI requirements, we ask that students plan to remain enrolled at Santa Monica College full time (12 units) for a minimum of 2 years. Additionally the committee is looking for:
Incoming High School Students
- Minimum of 2 years of High School science
- 3.00 High School GPA or higher
- High School completion of Algebra 2: Eligible for SMC Math 20 (Intermediate Algebra) or higher
- Interest in one of the STEM fields (Science, Technology, Engineering, or Math)
Current SMC Students
- Successful completion of Math 20 or eligibility for a higher level Math course.
- Fewer than 30 completed transferable college units or 2 planned years of SMC enrollment)
- Minimum 2.8 GPA
- Full Time Students (12 units) enrolled in minimum of 1 STEM course every semester
- Commitment fully to participate in program services (See SRI Program Requirements)
The SRI Program has a limited number of spots open every year; therefore, we run a competitive application process based on the criteria listed above. In order to begin the application process, please make sure that you complete the following steps:
1) New SMC Students: Complete the SMC application process prior to attempting the online application. All applicants must have an SMC ID and SMC email account to access the SRI application form.
- Complete the SMC Online Orientation
To get started, visit the SMC Admissions page: www.smc.edu/admissions
2) Current SMC Students: Log in to the online application using your current SMC email account and fill out each required field.
Prior to opening the application link:
1) Know your transfer GPA (CC Students) or High School GPA (New SMC Students). We will ask for transcripts from EVERY institution attended to verify your GPA upon acceptance.
2) Calculate your GPA in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) courses: For assistance calculating your GPA, use this link: Online GPA Calculator
3) Prepare clear and concise paragraph responses to the following questions (175 word maximum per response). Your responses will play a significant role in scoring your application, so please craft them carefully.
SRI Application Questions
A. Why do you want to pursue a major in STEM (Science Technology, Engineering, Mathematics)?
B. What challenges have you had to overcome thus far to pursue your educational goals? What potential challenges do you foresee with meeting your educational goals in the future?
C. How will the SMC/UCLA Science and Research Initiative help overcome your challenges and reach your academic and career goals?
D. Finally, If you DO NOT meet the SRI program criteria but believe the SRI selection committee should consider your application anyway, please tell us why.