About the Tax Program
There is Nothing More Certain Than a Career in Tax Preparation
Your career in tax preparation starts today. Santa Monica College’s comprehensive small business tax practice department certificate program will prepare you for a rewarding career in tax preparation. Education and training can lead to you working as a tax preparer at a tax preparation office, becoming a California Registered Tax Preparer (CRTP), or operating and building your own tax practice.
Additionally, our program prepares you to become IRS Certified to participate in our Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, where you will train extensively to interview individuals and prepare federal and state tax returns for the low-income population. The VITA program is a nationwide program recognized by the Internal Revenue Service. Understand tax laws and regulations, and gain real-world experience in this engaging program. Take the next step in your journey to creating a career that adds up to success.
Become a California CTEC Registered Tax Preparer (CRTP)
It is easy to become CTEC approved tax professional with our Income Tax Preparation course. It’s easy! Enroll in Accounting 17 – Income Tax Preparation (CTEC Approved) and get everything you need to become a CRTP! Start your tax career now!
Accounting 17 – Income Tax Preparation
This comprehensive course is intended for individuals to enter the tax profession and enable them to prepare individual tax returns for the public, including individual taxpayers who operate sole-proprietor businesses. At the completion of the course, students will be able to prepare most individual tax returns and Schedule C for small business returns. This tax course is a qualified course by the California Tax Education Council (CTEC) and fulfills the requirements to become a California Registered Tax Preparer (CRTP).
Upon completion of this course the student will be able to:
- Prepare most individual tax returns.
- Perform a thorough interview with a taxpayer.
- Determine a taxpayer's filing status and eligibility for exemptions.
- Accurately report income and deductions for a taxpayer.
- Determine a taxpayer's eligibility for credits and deductions.
- Complete Schedules C-EZ, C and E.
- Compute depreciation for assets and eligibility for Section 179.
- Accurately calculate a taxpayer's refund or balance due.
- Advise a taxpayer in tax planning strategies.
- Become a California CTEC Registered Tax Preparer.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Prepare basic level individual Federal and California income tax returns.
- Prepare business tax forms for sole proprietors, including Schedule C, D, E and Depreciation.
- Perform tax research and answer tax questions.
Note: This course will help you participate in the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program at SMC (SMC VITA)
You May Also Be Interested In
Potential Career Options
Treasurers and Controllers||Bachelor's Degree||$137,441|
Financial Managers, Branch or Department||Bachelor's Degree||$137,441|
Budget Analysts||Bachelor's Degree||$90,293|
Credit Analysts||Bachelor's Degree||$86,878|
Financial Analysts||Bachelor's Degree||$90,438|
Financial Examiners||Bachelor's Degree||$76,586|
Tax Examiners and Collectors, and Revenue Agents||High School Diploma or More||$45,048|
Tax Preparers||High School Diploma or More||$43,127|
Bookkeeping, Accounting, and Auditing Clerks||High School Diploma or More||$44,060|
Payroll and Timekeeping Clerks||Bachelor's Degree||$53,123|
Brokerage Clerks||Bachelor's Degree||$46,987|
Statistical Assistants||Bachelor's Degree||$46,987|