Here in the Center for Teaching Excellence, we want the faculty of Santa Monica College to have open availability to the best books and resources to help you be the best teacher you can be.
We have an ever-growing collection of informational books and DVDs available on loan for faculty. Please see the list below and contact us to inquire about availability. Click the titles to be redirected to descriptions and reviews.
- "Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom" by bell hooks (Qty. 10)
- "Pedagogy of the Oppressed" by Paulo Friere (Qty. 12)
- "Small Teaching: Everyday Lessons from the Science of Learning" by James Lang (Qty. 5)
- "Cheating Lessons: Learning from Academic Dishonesty" by James Lang (Qty. 5)
- "What the Best College Teachers Do" by Ken Bain (Qty. 20)
- "The College Fear Factor: How Students and Professors Misunderstand One Another" by Rebecca Cox (Qty. 20)
- Rushton Hurley - Full Presentation 9/3/13 (Filmed at SMC)
- Harvey Stromberg: 40 Years of Teaching at SMC - Full Presentation 10/22/13 (Filmed at SMC)
- Anthony Yom - Culturally Responsive Teaching - Full Presentaion 5/17/16 (Filmed at SMC)
- WestEd Reading Apprenticeship Classroom Series (4 DVDs, one of each class lesson)
- "When You Dream" The Community College Pipeline to Law School
- "Grading Best Practices" 4-pack - Magna 20-minute Mentor Series
*** NOTE: When borrowing books or DVDs from The Center, you will be required to leave your personal info, including campus email and home phone. We lend books for one (1) month periods, renewable in person or via email.